St Andrew’s Church
St. Andrew’s was founded in November, treatment 1919 in order to care for the spiritual and Christian needs of the residents of Evanston and the surrounding areas. Under the leadership of the Holy Spirit, sick Mrs. Ester L. Bryant, pathopsychology Mrs. Mary F. Jackson and Dr. Louise Scott petitioned for mission status to the Rt. Rev. Charles Palmerston, Bishop of Chicago.
On September 8, 1920 Rev. Henry B. Browne was appointed the first Priest-in-Charge of the church. Since then, St. Andrew’s has devoted her time; resources and efforts to do the work of God. Since then St Andrew’s has grown and has become a place for many worshippers.
On the whole St Andrew’s church has had a total of thirteen Priests and many interim priests before her current vicar the Rev. Fr. Emeka P. Nwachuku whose presence brought about a new beginning in the life of the congregation. Hence the merger of St Andrew’s and Church of the Pentecost in Chicago.
Church of the Pentecost
As Fr. Nwachuku visited the Episcopal churches in Chicago area after his arrival in 1998, he observed that many Nigerian Anglicans were not involved in the Episcopal Church. For some, the Episcopal Church was too catholic for their liking, and for others, they did not know the Episcopal Church was part of the Anglican communion. Hearing these concerns, The Fr. Nwachuku was burdened and started discussion with Dr Funmi Olapade, and Mercy Akpunonu on how to address the spiritual needs of Nigerian Anglicans who live in Chicago. Rev Olu Olajide joined in the discussion as several meetings were convened at the residence of the Oalpade’s to discuss the way forward.
As deliberations continued, Fr. Nwachuku submitted a proposal to the Cathedral of St James in Chicago, and they graciously allowed the Nigerian community to use their sanctuary for the first service that was held in the fall of 2000. From then on weekly services commenced primarily for the Nigerian Anglican community at the chapel of St James.
The Diocese of Chicago embraced and adopted the fellowship in 2001. Hence she enlarged her vision to embrace other African Anglican in Chicago land.
On the 30th of May 2001, The fellowship then known as the African Anglican Fellowship began officially as a fellowship of the Diocese of Chicago. St Augustine’s Chapel on Argyle was used for her first service and it became a home for the fellowship in the first year of her ministry. Thereafter, the fellowship was housed by St Peter’s Church Belmont.
Shortly after the fellowship moved to St Peter’s on Belmont her numbers began to grow and it became imperative for her to change her name. At this juncture, the members agreed that her name be changed to Church of the Pentecost. Despite the challenges of a typical ministry in the city of Chicago, God blessed Church of the Pentecost as grew in width and bound. In no time, the chapel space she used at St Peter’s became too small for her membership. It became imperative for the fellowship to move to a bigger space. Attempts were made to find a space in the city of Chicago without much success.
As God would have it, St Andrew’s Evanston was going through a transition and at that point began conversations with Church of the Pentecost on the possibility of coming together as one family. They shared their similarities and dissimilarities as they dialogued but believed that for their greater good, it was expedient for them to come together. Guided by the Holy Spirit, and with the support of the Diocese of Chicago, the two merged on September 10, 2006. Her new name became St Andrew’s Pentecost Church Evanston.